In the last decade of the 20th century, Nepal witnessed several biotechnology-derived products in the market:
- Human health care products
- Seeds and plants of high yielding variety of agricultural and horticultural crops
- Food products and drugs
- Improved livestock
- Animal health care products
They entered into the country from the neighboring and the developed countries.
Modern biotechnology has entered into Nepal like bandwagon and everybody is jumping onto it.
Different Areas of Biotechnology In Nepal
- PLANT TISSUE CULTURE
- MEDICAL BIOTECHNOLOGY
- DISEASE DIAGNOSTICS
- BIOENERGY AND BIOCONVERSION TECHNOLOGY
- MOLECULAR CHARACTERIZATION
- PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF BIOTECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS / PROCESSES
- BIOTECHNOLOGY IN ACADEMIA
- Nepal has signed the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety on March 2, 2001.
- Focal point for the Biosafety Protocol is the Chief of the Environment Division in the Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation.
- Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation has enforced Biosafety Regulations 2062 BS throughout the Kingdom of Nepal on and from May 25, 2005.
The Concerned Ministries
- Ministry of Environment, Science and Technology
- Ministry of Forest and Soil Conservation
- Ministry of Agriculture and Co-operative
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Education and Sports
- Ministry of Industry, Commerce and Supply